Skip to main content

Supporting Your Education

The Financial Aid Office at SUNY FMCC is here to help you plan for and navigate the financial aid application process, from the start of your college search through graduation. Not only will we help you understand the process, but we will identify and maximize everything you qualify for. Feel free to ask questions and seek our advice.

If you have already applied for financial aid, you can check your status at (MyAid) Student Log In (




    About Financial Aid

    The Financial aid process can often feel overwhelming and confusing but not at SUNY FMCC. We have assembled a series of short videos and designed our website to help explain the different types of financial aid and walk you through each step of the application process. Our Financial Aid Team is also here to help you anytime you have questions.


    You can reach the Financial Aid Office Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 4:00 pm. 518-736-3622 Ext. 8201.


    You can email the Financial Aid Office with any questions at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

    Schedule A Visit

    Text us at 518-620-5084 to schedule a meeting with Financial Aid for 1:1 appointments.


    Financial aid grants are either Federal or New York State sources of money that generally do not have to be repaid. The amount of grant aid is determined by the information reported on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) applications.
    Federal Pell Grant

    A Federal Pell Grant is awarded to eligible full- and part-time undergraduate students. The amount of the award is determined by the student’s financial need. The Federal Pell Grant may be used for any college related expense and, as a grant, does not have to be repaid (unless the student stops attending classes and it is determined that the student has been overpaid).

    Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
    A Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) is for students with exceptional financial need. Defined as those students with the lowest Expected Family Contributions (EFC). FSEOG is awarded on a first come first served basis until available funds are expended.
    New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)

    TAP is a New York State grant program available to qualified New York State residents who attend an approved postsecondary institution within the State on a full-time or part-time basis.

    New York State Aid for Part-time Study (APTS)
    APTS is a grant from New York State for students pursuing a degree as a part-time undergraduate student. The amount of the grant is determined by the college and is based upon the availability of funds from New York State.


    There are various types of scholarships available for financial support. Generally, scholarships require an application and are awarded based on certain criteria including academic achievement, financial need, diversity and inclusion, extracurricular activities, and more.
    New York State Excelsior Scholarship Program
    This scholarship allows New York State students to attend a SUNY or CUNY college tuition free after Pell and TAP awards have been applied. Families who earned $125,000 or less are eligible to apply.
    FM Foundation Scholarships

    Over $200,000 in scholarships are available for new, current, and returning students with awards ranging from $100 to full tuition. Awards may be based on academic merit, financial need, academic program major, and/ or other factors. Need-based scholarship applicants must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and demonstrate financial need to be considered.

    The FM Foundation Scholarship application will be available in your admissions portal (Login ( upon acceptance to SUNY FMCC.

    The Foundation of Fulton-Montgomery Community College, Inc. provides institutional scholarships to make up the difference between college costs and what a family can be expected to contribute through income, savings, loans, and student earnings. The FM Foundation receives support from the Fulton and Montgomery County communities, which enables them to provide a large range of scholarships. Amounts and availability of the awards are subject to change. A list of current scholarships can be found in the attached document.

    Full list of scholarships

    Outside Scholarships

    There are many scholarships available from private organizations, clubs, and businesses.  Some sites to review for outside scholarship opportunities include:

    Federal Work Study

    This program gives the student the opportunity to earn money to pay educational expenses. When possible, the program encourages community service work and work related to your course of study. Work-study jobs are available on and off campus. The amount a student can earn cannot exceed the total work-study award.

    Important Information

    There are jobs for students on-campus funded by SUNY FMCC. See employment opportunities section, under About FMCC.


    Sometimes it is necessary to borrow money to finance your education. With SUNY FMCC being so affordable, we caution you to just borrow what is needed to meet expenses.

    Federal Direct Loans

    Loans are a way for the student to borrow money from the Department of Education to help finance their education. The student may authorize the college to use loan proceeds to pay for college charges, and balances will be refunded to the student to be used for other educational expenses. Be a Smart Borrower!

    The types of Federal Direct Loans include:

    • Direct Subsidized Stafford Loans – A Subsidized loan is based on financial need. Interest will be deferred while the student is in college.
    • Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan – An Unsubsidized loan is not based on financial need. Interest starts accruing at the time the loan is disbursed and continues until it is paid in full.
    • Direct Parent PLUS loan – A PLUS loan is for parent(s) of eligible dependent students to assist with their child’s educational expenses. Repayment begins 60 days after the loan is disbursed.
    Private & Alternative Loans

    Private loans are offered through private lenders including banks and credit unions and are meant to provide additional educational funding only after a student and their family have exhausted all other sources of funding such as federal and state aid. These loans are not guaranteed by the federal government and may carry high interest rates and origination fees.

    SUNY FMCC does not recommend any specific lenders. You are advised to use these loans sparingly, and you may wish to discuss your particular situation with the Financial Aid Office.

    Military & Veteran Benefits

    We recognize and hold in admiration your dedication and sacrifice to serve our country. Many Veterans, family members of Veterans, Active Duty, National Guard, and Reserve Service Members who want to pursue higher education in their off-duty time are taking advantage of a variety of federal programs and incentives to attend college and to pursue a new career path. We are here to help you navigate this process.

    The Johnny Isakson and David P. Roe, M.D. Veterans Health Care and Benefits Improvement Act of 2020 requires educational institutions to make certain disclosures to students using federal military and/or VA educational benefits. To view and print a copy of an estimated personalized cost of attendance you can visit the SUNY Net Price Cost Calculator and select Fulton-Montgomery Community College from the dropdown. Additional financial information can be found at the NCES College Navigator site.

    Jean D'Ambrosia, VA School Certifying Officer
    Questions regarding VA educational benefits should be directed to the VA School Certifying Official in the Financial Aid Office.

    To determine your GI Bill eligibility for receiving benefits:
    Types of Benefits Programs

    Veterans, reservists, and dependents are separated into different categories or “chapters” that define eligibility requirements and determine benefits. Read more about the various chapters on the attached document to determine which one may apply to you.

    Military & Veteran Benefit Programs PDF

    Getting Started

    Once you determine your benefits eligibility, you can get started by completing the required application. This will either be the Veterans Online Application (, or the Application for VA Education Benefits - VA FORM 22-1990 (, or the Dependents’ Application for VA Education Benefits - VA Form 22-5490 (

    The next steps are detailed in the attached document.

    Military & Veteran Application Process PDF


    In compliance with the DOD MOU, SUNY FMCC is providing important financial information to our military and veteran students. The following links are intended to assist future and current student veterans in knowing your options and making informed decisions prior to enrolling or while you are enrolled at SUNY FMCC.

    The Veteran Pending Payment Compliance Administrative Policy is detailed on the attached document

    Veteran Pending Payment Compliance Administrative Policy PDF


    How To Apply & FAQs

    Everything starts with the FAFSA. The FAFSA application requests information about your family’s income and number of people in your household. These questions are used to determine the amount of aid you are eligible for. The FAFSA has to be submitted each year but it only takes about 30 minutes to complete. The Financial Aid Office is always here to help you.
    How To Apply
    STEP 1: Collect Required Documents

    For recent high school graduates, collect your parents’ and if applicable your income tax returns, Social Security numbers, W-2 form(s), and other records of income and assets. For independent students, collect the same information for yourself and if applicable your spouse.

    STEP 2: Create an FSA ID

    You can get your FSA ID by creating an account at

    With your FSA ID, you will be able to “sign” your FAFSA electronically and complete the federal student aid process completely online. Also, you can make corrections to your application once it is filed and access your information online. If you are under 24 years old, it is likely you and one of your parents will each need an FSA ID. You will use the same FSA ID to reapply, and to access your student aid records each year.

    Check out the video on how to create your FSA ID.

    STEP 3: Complete the FAFSA

    The FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) is the application for federal student assistance. You can apply starting October 1st prior to the academic year you plan to attend. Apply online by going to SUNY FMCC’s FAFSA code is 002867.

    Check out the videos to help you in this process.

    Watch Video

    Watch Video

    STEP 4: Link to New York State TAP

    The TAP (Tuition Assistance Program) application is for New York State residents to apply for NY State financial aid. Once you complete your FAFSA online, you will be taken to a Confirmation Page. Click on the link to apply for New York State-based financial aid and you will be directed to the Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) website ( in order to fill out your TAP application. SUNY FMCC’s NYS Tuition Assistance (TAP) code is 2240.

    If you miss the link when you file your FAFSA, you will receive an email from HESC after your FAFSA is processed, with information on how to complete your TAP application.

    STEP 5: Complete NYS Excelsior & FMCC Scholarship Applications

    For New York State residents, you may be eligible for the Excelsior Scholarship. This scholarship in combination with FAFSA and TAP financial aid programs, allows eligible students to attend a SUNY or CUNY college tuition-free. The Excelsior Scholarship is based on family income along with other requirements and requires a separate application that can be found at Please note that the application is only open for a short period each year prior to the fall or spring semester.

    SUNY FMCC awards over $200,000 in institutional scholarships thanks to the generosity of donors to the FMCC Foundation. You will automatically be given the opportunity to complete the short scholarship application within your admissions portal after you are accepted to the college. Please note that scholarships may be awarded on a first come first served basis so it is recommended that you complete the scholarship application as early as possible.

    Watch Video

    STEP 6: Check to See if You’ve Been Chosen for Verification

    The U.S. Department of Education selects a certain number of applicants for a verification process. Being selected for verification does not necessarily mean that there was an error on your FAFSA. Up to 40% of students are selected each year as part of a process to maintain integrity of the Federal Student Aid Program. In order to receive financial aid that you have been awarded, you will have to submit IRS Tax Return Transcript(s) and other documents requested by SUNY FMCC’s Financial Aid Office.

    STEP 7: Review Your Financial Aid Status & Award Notification

    Once your FAFSA, TAP, and Excelsior (if applicable) application processes are complete and you demonstrate financial need, SUNY FMCC will send you an award notice indicating the financial aid programs for which you qualify. If you are not eligible for need based financial aid, you can contact the Office of Financial Aid to find out other options to finance your education.

    Log-in to MyAid at

    For First-time users: Please contact the Financial Aid Office at (518) 736-3622 ext 8201 for a temporary password.

    The Financial Aid Office will officially communicate with students via email and strongly encourages new and current students to check their MyAid account and My FMCC ( student portal frequently for updates.

    Frequently Asked Questions
    How many times do I have to apply for Financial Aid?

    You will need to reapply for financial aid every year. The FAFSA application opens on October 1st of each year.

    When should I apply for Financial Aid?
    The earlier the better. Some financial aid and scholarships are based on a first come first served basis. Don’t lose out on available money.
    Can I lose my Financial Aid?

    Unfortunately, you can. Factors including grades, course load, residency, and attendance can affect your financial aid awards. You must remain in Satisfactory Academic Progress to remain eligible. For further information check out the following link (

    How many credits do I need to enroll in to receive financial aid?

    A student must be enrolled at least half-time (6 credits) to receive most financial aid.